TV Shows You Watch

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Cinema and The Arts' started by Twisted, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Looks like there are just a couple threads here regarding individual TV shows like Game of Thrones and Narcos.

We can use this thread for a longer list of shows that people are interested in.

I got done with Fargo season 2 last week. It was very good but not quite up to season 1 which I thought was phenomenal.

A bunch of the shows I like are coming back soon:
    1. GOT - Game of Thrones season 6 on 4/24/16. This will be especially intriguing given the cliffhangers at the end of season 5 and the fact that they are going to be ahead of the books
    2. House of Cards - 4th season released on 3/4/16. The first 2 I absolutely loved. The 3rd season was still good and left with a nice cliffhanger as well.
    3. Marco Polo - 2nd season which premiers sometime in June. The first one was very good, entertaining more than anything and I don't know that much about the history which makes it more fun to watch as well.
    4. Daredevil - 2nd season comes out on 3/18/16. I'm not a huge Marvel nut by any means but the 1st season was excellent.
    5. Banshee - the ultimate man's show. A Cinemax flick that will be having it's 4th and final season coming out on 4/1/16. That one is pure entertainment but has at least some semblance of substance which makes it a good one to watch.

The season premier of Better Call Saul just came out this past Monday. I still found the first season to be very underwhelming. I'd expect it to pick up soon but I'm not going out of my way to watch it right now.

teddytennisfan likes this.
  2. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Also forgot to mention a couple others I'm currently watching.

1. Shameless - A very good comedy/drama that's in its 6th season. It's definitely lost a little steam from its first few seasons but most of the recent comedies are garbage by the 5th or 6th season. I'd say it's still good.

2. Billions - A new show that's through about 5 episodes. It is awesome so far.

3. britbox

britbox Multiple Major Winner

Good picks @Twisted!

Game of Thrones is probably my favourite ever. I've also got into Vikings recently.

I watched the UK version of Shameless, thought it was OK (my wife was a massive fan).

Heard lots of good reports about the other shows you mentioned, I've been meaning to watch Better call Saul for ages and Billions also sounds good.

4. Billie

Billie Nole fan
    Nole's World Moderator

Thank you @Twisted for the thread. You keep recommending good shows, I sometimes tend to just go to On Demand channel and watch all episodes one after the other (when I am off of work and dedicate myself to it).

I've been meaning to catch Vinyl, maybe Rock Icons as I love shows with/about music.

5. britbox

Has anyone seen Penny Dreadful? Several people have recommended it to me.

6. Federberg

Federberg Multiple Major Winner

just thought I would share this clip with you guys. Had me in stitches..

7. brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace Masters Champion

I'm assuming we're talking about shows that are still airing/running.

- Game of Thrones, obviously.
    - House of Cards
    - Suits
    - Orange Is the New Black (really didn't expect to enjoy this but it's really good for some light hearted viewing).
    - Black Sails

I might be forgetting a few.

8. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Ones that aren't running can be mentioned too. Is Black Sails good? Looks interesting.

Anyone catch Better Call Saul? I've heard some people say it's about the same as season 1 and others say it's way better. If it's like season 1 I have very little interest.

Also forgot to mention Outlander in the original post. I saw most of season 1, pretty slow yet I still enjoyed it. Season 2 may have started or it is out soon.

Daredevil was very good again. I liked season 1 better but this was still very good and sets up well for The Punisher to have his own series.

House of Cards was excellent through about the middle point of the season, then lost some steam but ended well. I liked it more than season 3 but not as much as the first 2.

9. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

The Billions season finale was last week and it was fantastic. I highly recommend that show to everyone! Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis are terrific in it. In a way it's kind of similar to House of Cards where you may find it tough to truly like any of the characters, or at least to admit it. But it's the stock market instead of politics.

#9 Twisted, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. britbox

Billions sounds good, will have to add it to the bucket list. There are so many good shows out and about, it's hard to prioritize. Anyone seen Fargo? I've got all the episodes but another I haven't got around to actually watching.

11. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Yes Fargo is spectacular particularly the first season. I think the 1st season is one of the best I've seen of any show.

12. brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace Masters Champion

WARNING: POTENTIAL HOUSE OF CARDS SEASON 4 SPOILERS

Not sure what to make of this season. On one hand, I think the show is entertaining, extremely well acted (with one glaring exception that I'll get to), has some terrific characters, and the first two seasons are fantastic. On the other hand, while we were always supposed to suspend disbelief, I do think they're getting close to jumping the shark and they need to be careful.

Some of the stories are just too eye-rolling. Yes, Claire's connection with Tom Yates sheds even more light on her character (and she is the MVP of the show, which says a lot since Spacey is spectacular as you'd expect), but seriously? The first lady of the United States having an affair with some writer, while campaigning, no less? And all things considered, they're not even being THAT discrete about it.

Things really took a turn for the outrageous towards the end (from Conway's family stay at the White House to the live broadcasting of a terrorist beheading... Again, it's good TV but it's a tad disengaging given how unbelievable it is (especially the latter).

My final gripe with the season is how horribly miscast Conway is. He got better towards the end but he's completely out-acted by everyone around him.

It's still a great show and well worth watching.

13. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

It's a bit of a sad moment as Banshee had its series finale on Friday. It was a bit of a rushed season (only 8 episodes instead of the usual 10) and it had its obvious flaws. The show in general had its fair share of randomness and unrealistic events but it was always wildly entertaining. As I mentioned earlier it was the ultimate man's show. Not great in the traditional sense but it's one of a kind.

14. britbox

Just been getting into House of Cards... did start watching it ages ago - saw a few episodes, but somehow lost track. Watching it properly this time. Great show. Spacey is superb. Still on season 1 but will follow right through.

brokenshoelace and Twisted like this.
  15. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

HOC is an awesome show. Did you see the British version of it? I hear that is excellent as well.

Also, did you see Fargo yet?

16. britbox

I saw Season 1 of Fargo - really enjoyed it. Haven't seen the second season yet, but I have it ready. Nope, not seen the British version of House of Cards but it's on Netflix so will probably watch after I've churned through all the seasons of the American version.

17. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Pro Tour Player

My favourite T.v. shows were Coast, Vikings, History of Scotland, History of Ancient Britain, Timeteam, Spring/summer/autumn/winter watch, porridge and open all hours. Most of them aren't on t.v. now but I have some box sets which I watch.

18. britbox

Was Coast the one where they explored the coast of Australia?

19. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Pro Tour Player

Yes. They explored the British coast first and then went further afield.

20. teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan Multiple Major Winner

if by year to year anticipation --i've only really followed GoT And Penny Dreadful.

i am still upset that they stopped - unceremoniously --

teh DRACULA by jonatahn rhys-meyers
    and SHERLOCK HOLMES of cumberbatch
    other than these -- no series i've tried to be curious about has really been of interest to me.

and then avidly watch and rewatch attenborough's (and spin-offs by him) PLANET EARTH series .

the rest - i just try and catch whatever movie is interesting.
    s