The science behind doping: Sharapova, Russia and Rio 2016

Discussion in 'Pro Tennis (Mens)' started by britbox, Apr 3, 2016.

1. britbox

britbox Multiple Major Winner

Totally agree that the message send out by the authorities is the wrong one.

"Things have to get worse before they can get better"... Yep.

2. Denis

Denis Masters Champion

Dont know if it is worth a thread in itself, but there is a huge doping scandal in the UK going on at the moment. the Sunday Times has the story today. 150 athletes implicated, including tennis players.

teddytennisfan likes this.
  3. britbox

Got a link D?

4. britbox

The shit is going to hit the fan with a lot of this stuff.

Spain and Mexico have been ruled non-compliant with WADA drug testing procedures.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index...-doping-agency-after-failing-to-meet-deadline

... and we are still awaiting the decision on whether the blood bags stored in a Barcelona freezer from the Operacion Puerto/Fuentes case are going to be destroyed (as bizarrely ordered by the Spanish judge) - this has been appealed and years later we are still waiting for a final decision... fricken disgrace.

5. Denis

Denis Masters Champion

6. Mastoor

Mastoor Masters Champion

I can't wait to see the opening ceremony - "Here are all 4 sportsmen from Andorra, followed by 2,798 from the only other country competing - USA."

7. Mastoor

Mastoor Masters Champion

8. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

Spain's issue is procedural, because recent elections have left them in a bit of a political stalemate. And with their economy in shambles, their status with WADA is not the first of their problems. They have asked for more time. Don't make it more scandalous than it need sound. At least the blood samples in the Fuentes case haven't been destroyed, so there is room for appeal. Perhaps the recent publicity will encourage more light to be shed, rather than less.

9. britbox

It is an absolute scandal. No too ways about it. The Judge told Fuentes that he didn't need to mention anything outside cycling and ordered the bags to be destroyed... what isn't scandalous??

The political excuse is just that, an excuse. It shouldn't affect the judiciary... and it's a decade since this broke. 10 years... How much time do you need?

Twisted likes this.
  10. Ricardo

Ricardo Masters Champion

so you are saying..... let's not discuss it, let's not go there, because talking about it is making it 'scandalous'!! so everyone just shut up, until there is solid concrete evidence or verdict, but really? something is gonna get buried, if you got a tiny bit of common sense, as if we haven't seen this sort of thing before.

is that how you go about things in real life? :)

11. mrzz

mrzz Major Winner

Easy, Ricardo, I guess Moxie just don't want us to blame people in advance.

I see her point (if I interpreted her correctly, she will correct me, anyway).

I, for one, do not believe top tennis players will have any connection to this. On the other hand, don't ask me about the Spanish football team....

Moxie likes this.
  12. Federberg

Federberg Multiple Major Winner

It's got to be important athletes, whether it's footballers or tennis players. If it was Barcelona players I wouldn't be surprised if the government was fairly relaxed about releasing the information. It's not like they're the establishment team. I'm amazed it's taking so long, surely they have to understand that it taints the whole of Spain.

13. Mastoor

Mastoor Masters Champion

It is actually governments who want to keep this rubbish under the carpet. See that even Fuentes and Bonar would like to say who they doped, they are made to keep quiet. We can only guess.