Steffi v Serena: Who's the Greatest?

Discussion in 'Pro Tennis (Womens)' started by britbox, Sep 28, 2016.

1. britbox

britbox Multiple Major Winner

Some might not class either of these two as the greatest - if not why not? Others in the top tier would include Margaret Court, Martina Navratoliva, Chris Evert. Anyone else?

2. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

3. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

I hate to be mealy-mouthed about it, but this is why there is no GOAT. I feel that we can leave Margaret Court out, and focus on the Open Era, as the videos suggest, but from there, it's reasonable to posit Steffi and Serena as the top of the pile. But they are great for different reasons, and I think it's fair to just stop, and call them co-GOATS. Even if Serena gets past Graf in the Majors count. Graf was a sublime tennis player, a great athlete and dominant in many ways. Serena is one of the greatest US athletes of all time, an amazing competitor, and has longevity on her side. If Steffi was a cat, Serena was a bull. (Sound familiar?) Eventually, it's too hard to compare them and come out with one answer, as the videos demonstrate.

Margaret Court gets big kudos for an earlier era, and I also think Martina does, for her singles career, and her longevity. It mostly goes down from them, I think.