NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Twisted, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Thought this should have it's own thread. One of the best times of the year for sports IMO. The regular season, which is much too long, is over and now all the teams can and will bring it every night. It makes for better games when everyone can give it their all for 48 minutes and they don't have to pace themselves.

The East is a little more interesting than prior years. The last decade or so have featured a Lebron team and then 1 or at most 2 other strong teams out East and then a bunch of scrubs. It's gotten a little more "middle" heavy this year yet the problem is I can't take the #2 seed Toronto that seriously until they show any sign of life in the playoffs. Even if they play up to their ability they would be big underdogs vs. Cleveland.

6 years ago the law of averages would say no way in hell Lebron makes 6 straight finals but since he has made 5 it's tough to see an upset this year. The Pacers, Bulls, and Celtics of a few years ago were better teams than what the Cavs are up against this year. But due to more teams being decent I figure the 1st and 2nd round matchups could be tougher than the average matchups Lebron has had in years past.

There are some interesting matchups though: Miami-Charlotte, Hawks-Celtics, and Raps-Pacers all could be good. I'd like to see Miami and old man Wade make a bit of a run and I feel that they do have a chance at making the ECF.

Out West it is more top heavy. Golden State is the big favorites obviously. For OKC and SA to win the West they will have to beat each other and Golden State while GS only has to go through one of them. That, and the fact they are obviously better than both teams to begin with is a huge edge. I don't see the Clips being able to make the 2nd round interesting if they get there. It might be interesting since the teams hate each other but that's about it. I don't see any good first round matchups, maybe Clippers vs. Blazers only because LA is wacky and have repeatedly shown they can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in quite amazing fashion. I do think OKC has a decent chance vs. San Antonio. I usually get my upset pick wrong but I will make it anyways and say OKC wins that series or at least it wouldn't surprise me. I think if Leonard can come close to canceling out KD the Spurs win but if not OKC definitely has a good chance.

Finals Prediction: Warriors over Cavs in 5.

#1 Twisted, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace Masters Champion

Yeah I think we get a repeat of last year's finals. The potential match-up that excites me the most is OKC vs. the Spurs in the second round. It will also be fun to see the Warriors beat the ever living snot out of the Rockets though.

3. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Same old Raps. Great performance from Paul George though. It is incredible that he returned from THAT injury and is playing at a high level again. George is probably still the best player in that series and it highlights Toronto's main problem, similar to Atlanta last year, they don't have a true superstar and it's hard to get by without one this time of year. DeRozan and Lowry are stars but just not quite enough.

They may still win the series of course but if it comes down to Toronto vs. Cleveland in the ECF it would be a pretty quick series even if you had a bunch of scrubs around Lebron. Ultimately Boston and even Miami (Wade is obviously way past it) would have the same problem but I feel like they could match up a little better.

#3 Twisted, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  4. brokenshoelace

Houston Rockets getting absolutely embarrassed. Especially hilarious considering how much Harden whined about deserving MVP last season.

5. Billie

Billie Nole fan
    Nole's World Moderator

How about those Pistons? I don't even know half of the players there. I was surprised how tough they made it for Cleveland in game 1.

6. brokenshoelace

Wow, this is legit the worst I've seen Kevin Durant play.

7. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

^ Pretty shocking given Dallas is hardly good on defense, hell they are hardly good period. It might go 6 now but I'd still bet on 5. Golden State was wise to sit Curry and they probably could do so in game 3 if they want. They can win that series without him. Indy and Toronto might be the only 7 game series this round.

8. Billie

Billie Nole fan
    Nole's World Moderator

Not surprising that San Antonio is the first team to make it to the next round with a clean sweep. Without two od the starters Grizzlies really didn't stand a chance.

Cavs can do the same thing tonight although Pistons are giving them all they can handle tonight.

GS might be in trouble (not in this series) if Curry is seriously injured, I guess they will do an MRI on him tomorrow.

9. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Curry is going to be done for the playoffs. Most likely some ligament damage there and even if not, a sprained knee would probably be many weeks. Pretty sad that a wet spot on the court is probably going to end up playing a pivotal role in deciding the NBA champion. The Spurs title chances just skyrocketed.

10. brokenshoelace

Someone cursed Curry. Talk about terrible luck. What's even sadder is a wet spot may not only end up deciding this year's playoffs, but also be a difference maker in a historical sense. This was a legacy year for GSW and especially, Curry, with the way he's played. We're talking about a potential all-time great who was likely going to crown arguably the best individual regular season in history with a well-earned championship.

With regards to the above, I also think Lebron's title chances just skyrocketed.

11. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

That's definitely true. No one can take 73-9 away but they'd have been one of the all time great teams in any sport if they capped it off with a title. I don't think the Cavs' chances are much better vs. the Spurs than they would be vs. the Warriors. They'd probably prefer the Spurs but I still see SA as the heavy favorite in that series. I think OKC has a better chance vs. the Spurs. OKC's chances are much better too now. I think they have a decent chance vs. San Antonio but would've had very little vs. a healthy Golden State. Where Cleveland's chances are much better now is due to the possibility that the Thunder make it instead of Golden State or the Spurs. An OKC-Cavs final would probably be close to 50-50 with slight edge to Cleveland.

12. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Well I was wrong, apparently Curry could come back a lot sooner. It is a sprained MCL and apparently a slight one and he will miss at least two weeks. I honestly think they could take the Clips without Curry but it'd be a tough series for sure. They'd have no chance vs. the Spurs or OKC without Curry.

13. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

And CP3 broke his hand tonight. Crazy. It is going to be Blazers advancing as the Clips aren't even a playoff level team without Paul. Similar to Houston I don't think Curry needs to play at all for Golden State to beat Portland. Things suddenly looking up a bit for them if Curry will be back by the conference finals.

14. brokenshoelace

Injuries ruining the playoffs yet again. I hate the Clippers as much as the next guy, but this sucks. Even Blake is struggling with his quad. The Western Conference semis promised to be spectacular with OKC/SAS and GSW/Clippers.

15. brokenshoelace

In other news, Mark Cuban said Durant was OKC's only superstar before game 5, and that Westbrook was "just an All-Star." I don't understand why do some guys make comments like this? The guy's been killing you all series and it's clear you can't guard him, why would you say something that gives him more ammunition to gloat if he beats you? As it happens Westbrook had one of his best games of the season, completely destroying Dallas and went 37 p 12 r 9 a one 13/23 shooting.

16. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Cuban still has those moments where he says stupid crap just to be in the spotlight. I don't remember the Mavs roster over the course of the past 15 years but Dirk has often had good teams around him. Certainly quite a bit better than what Westbrook almost dragged to the playoffs last year. He knows the Mavs are going to be mediocre for the foreseeable future and is naturally not too happy about that.

17. brokenshoelace

Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are out for the rest of the playoffs. Clippers are done.

18. Twisted

Twisted Major Winner

Blake too? Wow. Without CP3 that is a weak team even with a fully healthy Griffin. Without both they'd be one of the worst teams in the league. Nice gift of a series to Portland but they don't need to apologize. They did well to win game 3 and were ahead slightly in game 4 before the Clippers injuries.

19. calitennis127

calitennis127 Masters Champion

Cuban does not like black street players for the most part. Remember that he coined the term "Thuggets" about the Melo-JR-KMart-Nene Denver teams. Westbrook is very brash and in-your-face, so it is not surprising that Cuban does not take a liking to him.

20. calitennis127

calitennis127 Masters Champion

Well Golden State has LeBron to thank for their championship last year and the momentum it generated into this season, given his horrendous performance in the Finals last year.