10 FERRER, David
11 GOFFIN, David
12 CILIC, Marin
13 GASQUET, Richard
14 KYRGIOS, Nick
15 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto
16 LOPEZ, Feliciano

The Tournament:

The Cincinnati Masters (currently sponsored by the Western & Southern Financial Group and called the Western & Southern Open) is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the U.S. Open, as its men’s portion is one of nine elite Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP World Tour and its women’s event is one of five Premier 5 events on the WTA Tour.

The tournament began in 1899 and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States.

About Cincinnati

Cincinnati is the third largest city in Ohio. As the first major US city founded after the American Revolution, as well as its first major inland city, it is considered the first “purely American city.” Though its influence has fallen off since its heyday in the 19th Century, it still carries political importance, as well as being a major sports hub, home of the baseball Reds and NFL Bengals. Early immigrants to Cincinnati were largely German, which is reflected in foods and festivals even today. The Oktoberfest Zinnzinnati is the largest outside of Bavaria, and their Bockfest is the oldest celebration of bock beers in the US.

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

Tourism Video

Photo by sebrenner

Comments

143 thoughts on “Cincinnati Masters, Cincinnati, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000”

1. Carol says:

Oops, sorry, I haven't seen this page and I put the men draw in another thread 🙂

2. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

I can't see Nadal being in Cinci. If he is, then it's a crazy move.

3. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Kei might be questionable too.

4. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

5. Tennis Fan says:

He is, but it's not so crazy, because he has no match preparation besides Rio, and it takes a while to get your instincts back. You have to be in competitive match to get your rhythm, I would think. I doubt that he's trying to win the whole thing, just get used to the adrenaline flowing again. That's a long time out of contention and I'm sure his reflexes aren't where he wants them to be.

Initially, I thought it was a bad idea to play the Olympics, but in hindsight it makes sense. They always say that practice doesn't compensate, you need the pressure associated with a match. He may be tired, but if he rests between now and the USO, he may lose the little muscle memory that he gained from Rio and would have to start back at square one.

6. Tennis Fan says:

Oops. Keystrokes failed me in the middle of the post.

7. Tennis Fan says:

I thought Andy said, when he was talking to Trennie that he wasn't going to Cincinnati, but wanted to savor the moment instead.

8. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Tennis Fan

He is, but it's not so crazy, because he has no match preparation besides Rio, and it takes a while to get your instincts back. You have to be in competitive match to get your rhythm, I would think. I doubt that he's trying to win the whole thing, just get used to the adrenaline flowing again. That's a long time out of contention and I'm sure his reflexes aren't where he wants them to be.

Initially, I thought it was a bad idea to play the Olympics, but in hindsight it makes sense. They always say that practice doesn't compensate, you need the pressure associated with a match. He may be tired, but if he rests between now and the USO, he may lose the little muscle memory that he gained from Rio and would have to start back at square one.

I read this article earlier: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport…-wrist-bothers-him-only-on-forehand/88737960/

Rafael Nadal says his ailing left wrist bothers him on his forehand but not on his backhand or serve.

Of course, that's still a pretty big impediment but he sounded in good spirits…

Rafa saying "without a doubt it's been a positive week in all aspects — I've played for many hours and the wrist at least didn't get worse."

9. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Tennis Fan

I thought Andy said, when he was talking to Trennie that he wasn't going to Cincinnati, but wanted to savor the moment instead.

According to this, he's now flying out with Rafa on a private jet.

10. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

According to this, he's now flying out with Rafa on a private jet.

I checked the ATPTour site and Andy's name is still on the draw. I'm sure they would've made an announcement by now since the tournament has already started, even before the 11:00 start time.

11. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

I read this article earlier: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport…-wrist-bothers-him-only-on-forehand/88737960/

Rafael Nadal says his ailing left wrist bothers him on his forehand but not on his backhand or serve.

Of course, that's still a pretty big impediment but he sounded in good spirits…

Rafa saying "without a doubt it's been a positive week in all aspects — I've played for many hours and the wrist at least didn't get worse."

Throughout his career I've also questioned his choices, but in the end it seems to work for him. I think it's just jarring because people expect everyone to do things the same way and are not comfortable when things don't go according to plan. Yeah, it was his serve that was hampered the most, which is odd.

12. Carol says:

I've read that Muzz and Rafa are already in Cincinnatti. Crossing fingers that Rafa wrist is doing well after to have so much practice in Rio that anyway he need it but I'm worry. That he doesn't have too much time to rest so I keep thinking that it's crazy to decide to play in Cincy instead to just to continue practicing until th

13. Tennis Fan says:
    Carol

I've read that Muzz and Rafa are already in Cincinnatti. Crossing fingers that Rafa wrist is doing well after to have so much practice in Rio that anyway he need it but I'm worry. That he doesn't have too much time to rest so I keep thinking that it's crazy to decide to play in Cincy instead to just to continue practicing until th

He'll probably just get a match in. I don't think he'll go all out. Then he can rest.

14. Carol says:

Rafa has withdrawn from Cincinnatti, wise decision but I hope it has been more for the fatigue than his wrist, crossing fingers

15. Tennis Fan says:
    Carol

Rafa has withdrawn from Cincinnatti, wise decision but I hope it has been more for the fatigue than his wrist, crossing fingers

That's good news. I hope it was for fatigue too.

16. Carol says:
    Tennis Fan

That's good news. I hope it was for fatigue too.

It's not still confirmed, I've also read that he is going to practice today at 6pm so we'll see what he is going to do, hope that information is correct

17. Tennis Fan says:

CarolIt's not still confirmed, I've also read that he is going to practice today at 6pm so we'll see what he is going to do, hope that information is correct

This guy is about to drive me nuts. Hopefully his withdrawal holds. Fingers crossed.

18. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches

Borna Coric (Croatia) beat Benoit Paire (France) 1-6 6-3 6-4
    Pablo Cuevas (Uruguay) beat Sam Querrey (U.S.) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-3
    Kevin Anderson (South Africa) beat Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) 7-5 0-0 (Dolgopolov retired)
    Julien Benneteau (France) beat 10-David Ferrer (Spain) 6-4 2-6 6-4
    Jared Donaldson (U.S.) beat Nicolas Almagro (Spain) 6-3 7-6(2)

19. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

20. Moxie says:

Interesting about Stan, as it was not so many days back that he declared himself "extremely doubtful" for Cincy. It was the back, I think, so glad to hear it's better.

21. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Carol

I'm not sure he has Carol. Can't find any confirmation anywhere other than the 6pm practice note which would indicate that he's likely to play.

22. Carol says:

Almagro and Ferrer are playing the worst year that I remember :confused:

23. Carol says:
    britbox

I'm not sure he has Carol. Can't find any confirmation anywhere other than the 6pm practice note which would indicate that he's likely to play.

Yep, I've read about that practice too, unfortunately it seems was a false alarm 🙁

24. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Carol

Almagro and Ferrer are playing the worst year that I remember :confused:

That's a good win for the young American Jared Donaldson over Almagro.

25. Moxie says:

britboxI'm not sure he has Carol. Can't find any confirmation anywhere other than the 6pm practice note which would indicate that he's likely to play.

I can't find anything, either. At the moment, they're having severe weather there, so probably no practice for the moment. I don't really mind if he wants to get in a few rounds. Not much to do before the Open, and I don't know if it's worth going back to Spain.

26. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches

Borna Coric (Croatia) beat Benoit Paire (France) 1-6 6-3 6-4
    Pablo Cuevas (Uruguay) beat Sam Querrey (U.S.) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-3
    Kevin Anderson (South Africa) beat Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) 7-5 0-0 (Dolgopolov retired)
    Jared Donaldson (U.S.) beat Nicolas Almagro (Spain) 6-3 7-6(2)

I don't understand Benoit. As soson as he started to win, he went off the boil.
    I watched the Querrey match. Weird match, Sam seemed in control and then bloop, down he went. Kind of surprising on HC.
    The Dog, I know he was injured but he's been off for a long time now.
    David is struggling quite a bit too.
    I know Almagro hasn't been back that long, but still…
    Troicki's another one. At one point he was playing so well, but he doesn't seem to have recovered since the drug incident.
    And Simon, OMG, he's a shell of his former self.

Then, poor Ana, she just can't get it together at all.
    Aggie's slowed down quite a bit too.

Probably more, it's just that it's so many players kind of fading all at the same time.

27. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

That's a good win for the young American Jared Donaldson over Almagro.

That was surprising.

28. Moxie says:

Speaking of Paire, does anyone know what got him into trouble with the French federation in Rio?

29. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

Speaking of Paire, does anyone know what got him into trouble with the French federation in Rio?

No, everything reported about Paire seems to be shrouded in secrecy. They never say what actually happened. Here's one thing they reported on Rio.

Paire ejected from France team

August 10 2016, 0:49 BST

Tennis star Benoit Paire has been excluded from the French team at the Olympics for poor behaviour.

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/article/553/10530249/rio-2016-tennis-star-benoit-paire-ejected-from-french-olympics-team

The decision was announced by the French tennis federation's technical director Arnaud Di Pasquale on national TV just as Paire was bowing out of the singles with a second-round loss to Fabio Fognini.

Paire, a 27-year-old ranked 32nd, appears to have been told to leave the athletes' village but was not barred from competing.

Di Pasquale did not give details of specific incidents but said in comments reported by L'Equipe: "It is unacceptable. It's a lack of respect vis-a-vis his peers, and staff.

"I think we have already given him a lot. There are rules to follow when one is in the France team. The decision was taken in agreement with Jean Gachassin, president of the federation.

"I asked him to pack his bags, to do what he wants to do outside if desired. This is intolerable, unacceptable. He was warned several times, it was coming to him.

"He should not have been allowed to come if he is not able to respect the rules."

Paire shrugged off his exclusion, saying on ouest-france.fr: "I'm happy to leave.

"I have a different view of what is happening at the Olympics. I keep my opinions to myself. The federation, they are non-existent, so it is not very serious.

"I'm just glad to have the person I wanted that supports me. It was the most important thing to me. The rest I do not care. Let them be there or not, it does not matter. I blame the federation for a lot of things."

30. Tennis Fan says:

Moxie, this is all I could find about Paire. Most of his articles are written in French.

Paire booted from French Olympic team

http://baseline.tennis.com/article/59904/benoit-paire-booted-french-olympic-team

31. Mastoor says:

Is Murray intending to play another 5 matches in Cincy after playing 6 in Rio? Same for Nishikori and Rafa? Why is Delpo not playing?

I have many questions about this while I can't offer you any answers. Trociki lost in the first round like he usually does. I think in last 8 tournaments he went to round 2 only once. Ana the same, pretty much every Serb except Tipsarevic who's promising on Challenger Tour.

32. isabelle says:

MoxieSpeaking of Paire, does anyone know what got him into trouble with the French federation in Rio?

he had a bad attitude according to what FFT said : he refused to go to the opening ceremony, he didn't show up at the Olympic village, didnt support French athletes, he prefered to go to the beach with his gf than eat with others…he was too selfish for OG I guess

33. isabelle says:
    britbox

he's a crazy guy….Murray should have pulled out too, it's not very careful to play there before USO, he needs some rest

34. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles matches on Tuesday

Round 1
    9-Gael Monfils (France) beat Pablo Carreno (Spain) 6-3 6-4
    John Millman (Australia) beat Malek Jaziri (Tunisia) 6-4 5-7 6-3
    Bernard Tomic (Australia) beat Joao Sousa (Portugal) 6-4 6-3
    13-Richard Gasquet (France) beat Adrian Mannarino (France) 7-6(2) 3-6 6-1
    11-David Goffin (Belgium) beat Nikoloz Basilashvili (Georgia) 7-5 6-3
    Mikhail Youzhny (Russia) beat Taylor Fritz (U.S.) 6-1 6-3

35. Tennis Fan says:

isabellehe had a bad attitude according to what FFT said : he refused to go to the opening ceremony, he didn't show up at the Olympic village, didnt support French athletes, he prefered to go to the beach with his gf than eat with others…he was too selfish for OG I guess

Wow. Why did he even bother to go if he was going to behave that way?

36. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Fernando Verdasco (Spain) beat Albert Ramos (Spain) 7-6(5) 6-4
    Steve Johnson (U.S.) beat Federico Delbonis (Argentina) 6-4 7-5
    Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus) beat Vasek Pospisil (Canada) 7-5 7-5
    John Isner (U.S.) beat Fabio Fognini (Italy) 6-3 6-2
    16-Feliciano Lopez (Spain) beat Mischa Zverev (Germany) 6-3 6-1

37. isabelle says:

Tennis FanWow. Why did he even bother to go if he was going to behave that way?

agree with you, he should have let Pouille go to Rio

38. Tennis Fan says:
    isabelle

agree with you, he should have let Pouille go to Rio

Yeah, lost some respect for him for behaving like a brat. I still like watching him play as I enjoy his style, but if I like his opponent I may root for them to win until he gets his act together, LOL.

39. Susan DePalma says:

Rafa is looking sharp, but Cuevas is no pushover. 2nd set TB it will be. Hopefully Rafa gets it done here.

40. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles matches on Wednesday

Round 2
    9-Gael Monfils (France) beat Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus) 7-5 6-0
    4-Milos Raonic (Canada) beat John Isner (U.S.) 7-6(5) 7-6(5)
    7-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat Reilly Opelka (U.S.) 7-6(5) 7-6(3)
    2-Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland) beat Jared Donaldson (U.S.) 2-6 6-3 6-4
    8-Dominic Thiem (Austria) beat John Millman (Australia) 7-5 6-1
    5-Kei Nishikori (Japan) beat Mikhail Youzhny (Russia) 6-3 6-2

Round 1
    Marcel Granollers (Spain) beat Jiri Vesely (Czech Republic) 6-4 6-7(5) 6-2
    Juan Monaco (Argentina) beat Ivo Karlovic (Croatia) 6-4 6-4
    Yuichi Sugita (Japan) beat Alexander Zverev (Germany) 6-7(4) 6-4 6-2
    Nicolas Mahut (France) beat 15-Roberto Bautista (Spain) 7-6(2) 2-6 6-3

41. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

42. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

So young Jared Donaldson couldn't put Stan away… glimpses of potential though.

43. Susan DePalma says:

I agree. He got a break back in the 2nd, but gave it back over.

44. Susan DePalma says:

Rafa wins the TB, so he's through in straights, which will help his cause. He maintained the better court position, and the depth of shots was good.

45. Susan DePalma says:

Borna Coric took the first set over Kyrgios, who DF's away the set. Let's see how committed Nick is to winning this one.

46. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

MoxieBorna Coric took the first set over Kyrgios, who DF's away the set. Let's see how committed Nick is to winning this one.

Nextgen Tussle. One with all the weapons and none of the intangibles and one with all the intangibles but lacking big weapons.

47. Susan DePalma says:

Nice win for Stevie Johnson over Benneteau in the 3rd set TB. He's having a great summer. Also, Dimitrov squeaked past Feli Lopez to get Wawrinka next.

48. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

MoxieNice win for Stevie Johnson over Benneteau in the 3rd set TB. He's having a great summer. Also, Dimitrov squeaked past Feli Lopez to get Wawrinka next.

Dimitrov stringing a few wins together…. Finally in 2016! See what he's made up of when he comes up against Stan.

49. Susan DePalma says:
    britbox

Dimitrov stringing a few wins together…. Finally in 2016! See what he's made up of when he comes up against Stan.

That match could be great, or a battle of who wants it least. I'll be pulling for Grigor, as Rafa is only about 220 points below Stan atm. :drums:

50. Susan DePalma says:

Tough hold from Coric at 5-5 in the 3rd. Let's see how sturdy holds out v. talent.

51. Susan DePalma says:

Sturdy wins. Coric hung in tough. But Nick battled for it. Good match! Now Borna gets Rafa.

52. Carol says:

Rafa's serve looked good, and in spite of some people think he is doing well on fast surfaces and more since he doesn't have problems with his knee.

53. Susan DePalma says:

Murray's 19th straight win.

54. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles matches on Wednesday

Round 2
    9-Gael Monfils (France) beat Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus) 7-5 6-0
    4-Milos Raonic (Canada) beat John Isner (U.S.) 7-6(5) 7-6(5)
    7-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat Reilly Opelka (U.S.) 7-6(5) 7-6(3)
    2-Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland) beat Jared Donaldson (U.S.) 2-6 6-3 6-4
    8-Dominic Thiem (Austria) beat John Millman (Australia) 7-5 6-1

Round 1
    Marcel Granollers (Spain) beat Jiri Vesely (Czech Republic) 6-4 6-7(5) 6-2
    Juan Monaco (Argentina) beat Ivo Karlovic (Croatia) 6-4 6-4
    Yuichi Sugita (Japan) beat Alexander Zverev (Germany) 6-7(4) 6-4 6-2
    Nicolas Mahut (France) beat 15-Roberto Bautista (Spain) 7-6(2) 2-6 6-3

Way to go, Pico. I can't believe he beat Karlovic (although I like Karlovic because he seems like a nice guy), but that's a nice win for Juan. Ivo is a tough out.

55. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

Rafa is looking sharp, but Cuevas is no pushover. 2nd set TB it will be. Hopefully Rafa gets it done here.

He really does have game. I didn't pay him that much attention when he beat Rafa when Rafa came back from injury, but he proved that if you're not on your game, he's there to take advantage, and he can cover the court like a maniac. That was a good match.

56. Susan DePalma says:
    Tennis Fan

Way to go, Pico. I can't believe he beat Karlovic (although I like Karlovic because he seems like a nice guy), but that's a nice win for Juan. Ivo is a tough out.

I think everyone feels the same about Karlovic. He's such a nice guy, he's a great old man of the game. He survived that cerebral virus or whatever it was…but when it comes down to it, his game is pretty dull, and we're glad when someone beats him. LOL! Anyway, it was nice he won in Cabo San Lucas.

57. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

So young Jared Donaldson couldn't put Stan away… glimpses of potential though.

Yeah, too much experience on the other side of the net.

58. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

I think everyone feels the same about Karlovic. He's such a nice guy, he's a great old man of the game. He survived that cerebral virus or whatever it was…but when it comes down to it, his game is pretty dull, and we're glad when someone beats him. LOL! Anyway, it was nice he won in Cabo San Lucas.

"we're glad when someone beats him. " LOL!

I just hate when he plays my favorites because sometimes his volleying is on point as well as his serve.

Most serve-bots are dull. I suppose Karlovic is no exception.

59. Susan DePalma says:
    Tennis Fan

"we're glad when someone beats him. " LOL!

I just hate when he plays my favorites because sometimes his volleying is on point as well as his serve.

Most serve-bots are dull. I suppose Karlovic is no exception.

Actually, Karlovic is the dullest of them all, and he does have more game than just his serve, to be fair. These guys don't get to be Top 50 by being that one-dimensional. Though being 5'9" with a deadly serve does help. The geometry on that is kinda sick.

60. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

If Stan plays like he did today, Grigor may take another step up the ladder. Stan was horrible today.

61. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

Actually, Karlovic is the dullest of them all, and he does have more game than just his serve, to be fair. These guys don't get to be Top 50 by being that one-dimensional. Though being 5'9" with a deadly serve does help. The geometry on that is kinda sick.

I don't know Moxie, Raonic and Isner top that list for me. I hate the way they move around the court. I can take Karlovic better.

62. Susan DePalma says:
    Tennis Fan

I don't know Moxie, Raonic and Isner top that list for me. I hate the way they move around the court. I can take Karlovic better.

Raonic and Isner both have more all-around game than Karlovic. Roanic is actually making a huge effort, which is why he is top 10. Getting McEnroe on his side is a signal that he really wants to be a multi-dimensional player. I don't love his game, but I admire his attitude.

63. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

Raonic and Isner both have more all-around game than Karlovic. Roanic is actually making a huge effort, which is why he is top 10. Getting McEnroe on his side is a signal that he really wants to be a multi-dimensional player. I don't love his game, but I admire his attitude.

They may, I've never done a comparison, but I don't like watching those two at all. Raonic lumbers, and John looks awkward. For some reason Karlovic doesn't look like them to me.

64. isabelle says:
    Moxie

Murray's 19th straight win.

according to l'Equipe, his shoulder bothers him, hope it's not serious

65. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

I agree with Moxie, Raonic has got a lot bit more to offer than Isner and Karlo. Milos is constantly looking to improve and I think that's been shown in his results this year. He moves better than Isner and Karlo and is a reasonable volleyer.

66. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Coric took out Nick. Makes you wonder if Kyrgios, with all his bags of talent will get swallowed up by his fellow Nextgen guys…. the ones who give a shit and look to improve constantly.

67. Susan DePalma says:
    britbox

Coric took out Nick. Makes you wonder if Kyrgios, with all his bags of talent will get swallowed up by his fellow Nextgen guys…. the ones who give a shit and look to improve constantly.

From what I watched, Nick seemed to be fighting for it. He still needs more mental discipline than he has, because Coric, who does seem to have better focus, got him in the TB. But it wasn't one of his poor showings. Is he still without a coach? Because he could really use a bit of council from someone wiser, if there is anyone willing to take him on.

68. Susan DePalma says:

Dimitrov takes the first. Stan's head went a bit towards the end of the set, and Grigor stayed focused.

69. Tennis Fan says:
    britbox

I was thinking the same thing. Nick walks around as if he's the only one with talent, but talent isn't only about flash, it's a talent to play smart, pick the right shots, stay in the moment, etc.

70. Carol says:

I've read Coric took another long toilet break and he came back (like Nishi in Rio and Cuevas yesterday) fresher and with a lot more energy, then Kyrgios started to lose smashing his racket several times……
    I understand that if they need to go to the restroom they have all the right to go but just a few minutes as the regulations say, otherwise it seems pretty unfair and also odd………

71. Tennis Fan says:

britboxI agree with Moxie, Raonic has got a lot bit more to offer than Isner and Karlo. Milos is constantly looking to improve and I think that's been shown in his results this year. He moves better than Isner and Karlo and is a reasonable volleyer.

I wasn't debating their skills or talents. It's just which I prefer to watch play. I don't actually do comparisons between people, players, etc., because there's no way to weight things, IMO.

72. Carol says:

But now I must to have good words for this guy

73. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles Round 3 matches on Thursday

8-Dominic Thiem (Austria) beat 9-Gael Monfils (France) walkover
    Bernard Tomic (Australia) beat 5-Kei Nishikori (Japan) 7-6(1) 7-6(5)
    Borna Coric (Croatia) beat 3-Rafa Nadal (Spain) 6-1 6-3
    Steve Johnson (U.S.) beat 7-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) 6-3 7-6(6)
    Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) beat 2-Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland) 6-4 6-4

74. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

75. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

There we were talking about Grigor's lack of…. heart, fortitude and more importantly results, and he starts putting a run together at Cinci.

76. Carol says:

britboxRafael Nadal injured in defeat by teenager Borna Coric

The UK’s BBC Channel are reporting Rafael Nadal suffered a wrist injury during the loss to Borna Coric. Our take is that Nadal has been playing with an injured wrist since he came back for the Olympics. Perhaps the situation worsened during the Coric match but it’s not a new injury. World number five Rafael […]

Wrong, nothing to do with the wrist though he was doing some stretching because after two months keeping the wrist immobilized and still has to use to get the regular movements but his call to the trainer was because his biceps of the left arm. Today Rafa has paid all his previous effort, I think he had pain all over but more for the tiredness than anything else

77. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

CarolWrong, nothing to do with the wrist though he was doing some stretching because after two months keeping the wrist immobilized and still has to use to get the regular movements but his call to the trainer was because his biceps of the left arm. Today Rafa has paid all his previous effort, I think he had pain all over but more for the tiredness than anything else

Thanks Carol, I thought the original article was a bit flippant.

78. Susan DePalma says:

britboxThanks Carol, I thought the original article was a bit flippant.

I actually thought he called the trainer for the left wrist, but I hope it's not worse. What I saw of the match, he didn't play anything like as well as yesterday…no depth on his shots, for example. But Carol is probably right that it's fatigue as much as anything, and generally hurting a bit all over. Late in the 2nd, on a DF, he was seen rubbing his shoulder, but a DF can make your shoulder hurt. LOL. Not taking away from Coric, who served well and kept very good composure, from what I saw. At 19, he has a lot of up-side. Kudos to @JesuslookslikeBorg, who spotted him a few years ago now.

79. Carol says:
    Moxie

I actually thought he called the trainer for the left wrist, but I hope it's not worse. What I saw of the match, he didn't play anything like as well as yesterday…no depth on his shots, for example. But Carol is probably right that it's fatigue as much as anything, and generally hurting a bit all over. Late in the 2nd, on a DF, he was seen rubbing his shoulder, but a DF can make your shoulder hurt. LOL. Not taking away from Coric, who served well and kept very good composure, from what I saw. At 19, he has a lot of up-side. Kudos to @JesuslookslikeBorg, who spotted him a few years ago now.

I know that you understand Spanish

http://tenis.as.com/tenis/2016/08/18/portada/1471552886_850060.html

80. Susan DePalma says:

CarolI know that you understand Spanish

http://tenis.as.com/tenis/2016/08/18/portada/1471552886_850060.html

Thanks, guapa. Yes, they say he was seen for the bicep and did stretches with the wrist. He did even look for a minute like he might get back on serve late in the 2nd. He still put a lot of heart into the match, as he did with JMDP and Kei at the OG. Tired and achy, likely, but he's no quitter.

81. Susan DePalma says:

Also want to give a shout-out to Stevie Johnson who becomes the US #1 today by beating Tsonga. He really is having a good summer.

82. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqeugu9M_6M%5D

Good win for Bernie, although Kei is probably knackered.

83. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

1-Andy Murray (Britain) beat Kevin Anderson (South Africa) 6-3 6-2

84. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUYoNdGfO4%5D

85. Susan DePalma says:

I hope Borna is our break-through teenager! Neither Berdych or Cilic is really that threatening. B-)

86. Susan DePalma says:
    britbox

Interesting to look at that list as to who won and who lost.

87. Mastoor says:
    britbox

Funny, it is like Balkan Open. Of those 8 remaining only Murray and Johnson are not Balkan Boys.

I guess Nadal, Nishikori and Wawrinka suffered strategic losses.

10 more days to USO. Is everyone excited?

88. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Mastoor

Funny, it is like Balkan Open. Of those 8 remaining only Murray and Johnson are not Balkan Boys.

I guess Nadal, Nishikori and Wawrinka suffered strategic losses.

10 more days to USO. Is everyone excited?

Definitely looking forward to the USO… seems more open than recent slams.

Thiem (Austria) – is that classed as the Balkans?

89. Mastoor says:
    britbox

Definitely looking forward to the USO… seems more open than recent slams.

Thiem (Austria) – is that classed as the Balkans?

I've been many times to Free State of Bavaria and over there they say that Balkans starts in Saltzburg which means they consider Austrians "Balkaners". Of course that has a pejorative meaning over there.

90. Tennis Fan says:
    Moxie

Also want to give a shout-out to Stevie Johnson who becomes the US #1 today by beating Tsonga. He really is having a good summer.

Impressive stuff from Stevie. What a summer for sure.

91. isabelle says:

Nadal should have taken some vacantion in Manacor…bad schedule from his team (or from himself ??)

92. Tennis Fan says:

isabelleNadal should have taken some vacantion in Manacor…bad schedule from his team (or from himself ??)

Not really. He had already been at home for three months and he has to get the wrist ready for all of the movements he's going to need. He got more time using his wrist and judging its strength, so in the end it was the better decision. Coming back from injury, it's not about wins or losses, but physically preparing for the end of the season.

93. Tennis Fan says:
    Carol

But now I must to have good words for this guy

[​IMG]

Me too, Carol. It's a wonderful tournament for him. I hope he continues his rich vein of form.

94. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Quarter Final Results

12-Marin Cilic (Croatia) beat Borna Coric (Croatia) 6-2 0-0 (Coric retired)
    4-Milos Raonic (Canada) beat 8-Dominic Thiem (Austria) 6-3 6-4
    Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) beat Steve Johnson (U.S.) 7-6(8) 6-2

Andy Murray v Bernard Tomic is the late match.

Grigor Dimitrov showing some form, advances to the semi-finals.

Borna Coric retired in the second set against Marin Cilic.

95. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

96. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

97. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

98. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

99. Twisted says:

I've seen all 4 of Dimitrov's matches out here in Cincy. He is in very good form. The match with Lopez in the 2nd round is by far the best match I was at. Cilic is also playing great. That should be a good one.

100. Tennis Fan says:

britboxQuarter Final Results

Andy Murray v Bernard Tomic is the late match.

Grigor Dimitrov showing some form, advances to the semi-finals.

Borna Coric retired in the second set against Marin Cilic.

Grigor continuing his great form.

Note to Coric: Beat Rafa and your tournament is over 9/10.

101. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Andy Murray gets it done over Bernie Tomic 6-4 6-4.

102. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Andy has won 21 matches in a row. Won Queens, Wimbledon, Rio and now in the Semis of Cinci.

103. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

borna coric..shame about the knee prob..he had some of that magic tape on his knee already. hope its only a niggle.

think his extra rank points push him into 35-40 range.

104. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

Andy Murray beat Milos Raonic 6-3 6-3

The streak continues. #22 on the spin.

105. Susan DePalma says:

Really stunning from Murray. Roanic is not match for this. Andy is the player to beat, at the moment. Hopefully he doesn't go into the USO too tired.

106. Carol says:

Great win by Muzz, Rafa has to be very happy about that result 🙂

107. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:
    Carol

Why?

108. Susan DePalma says:
    Carol

Why would that make Rafa happy, in particular? Just curious.

109. Carol says:
    britbox

Why?

Because if Raonic would have won then Rafa should have been the # 6 at the USO

110. Susan DePalma says:

Oh, I get it. Milos would have jumped over Rafa, who, because Roger is out, will be #4. That's actually a huge difference, and I'm sure you're right: Rafa should send Raonic an ice cream cake and tickets to the Phantom of the Opera.

111. Carol says:

MoxieOh, I get it. Milos would have jumped over Rafa, who, because Roger is out, will be #4. That's actually a huge difference, and I'm sure you're right: Rafa should send Raonic an ice cream cake and tickets to the Phantom of the Opera.

Yep, otherwise the USO would have been tougher for Rafa 🙁

112. Susan DePalma says:

Potentially rain-out tonight of Cilic-Dimitrov.

113. mrzz says:

I hereby declare that I am rooting for Cilic, in this coming final and in a lot of future matches, thus doubling the total number of his fans (as I assume his mother roots for him as well).

114. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

cilic on the brink glory..but el muzzo still hanging in there.

115. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

lol. cilic goofed up.

andy distracted by a whirring fan, then got time warning, then got broken. then argues with ump..

stuff is going on out there.

116. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

All done… Cilic takes the title!

The winning streak finally ends. Muzza's first loss since before Queens.

117. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

apart from 1st usopen that's his 1st title above atp250 level. cilic went mental when he won. yahoo,

118. Susan DePalma says:

Marin looked great today, what I saw of it. Maybe he's coming back to form just in time for the USO. I think Murray was pretty tired, too.

119. Carol says:

Well, even he wasn't as bad as Rafa I was surprised that Muzz still was "alive", I haven't seen the match but I'm not surprised looking that result.
    At least yesterday he had still some strength to win…:yes: and lucky that the ball didn't hit the Umpire

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOiwUpWrd7A%5D

120. Susan DePalma says:

I heard about that, but didn't see it. I don't think he could be defaulted for that…or could he, if he'd hit him? Probably a code violation.

121. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

If he'd hit him I think he could have been. Good job the ump moved his head.

122. Susan DePalma says:

Like that lines person in Rome who got out of the way of Djokovic's racquet. But given that it was a ball and not a racquet, and the ump, who has the discretion himself, I wonder if he'd have done it, unless it was mandatory. I'll see if I can find it in the rules. In any case, it's was childish on Murray's part, and he's not been making friends with the umpires the last couple of days.

123. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

mrzzI hereby declare that I am rooting for Cilic, in this coming final and in a lot of future matches, thus doubling the total number of his fans (as I assume his mother roots for him as well).

His mother roots for him big time… she even does his shopping for him.

124. Carol says:

I've read the crowd was rooting for Cilic, is it true?

125. Twisted says:

^ Mommies' shopping is the reason I can't root for him anymore. I always liked his game, he can play big man tennis but he does many things well that are weaknesses for tall players (returns well, handles the low ball well, moves pretty well, etc). Back about 6 years ago I hyped him up as a guy who could win multiple slams. Technically that could still happen but it's in a different manner (shock winner) than I had anticipated.

126. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

cilics mum does his shopping ??..at his age ?. and with all his money ?..yikes. :wacko:

"awww mummy, I need some new underpants and can I have some cola bottles and some flumps from the newsagents pleeeeeeeeeeeaase".

just when I was thinking its about time we saw some emotion oncourt like when he won. and now this grim news. as long as she stays clear of the chemist/pharmacy store at least. :scratch:

127. Owen Gigg Owen Gigg says:

JesuslookslikeBorgcilics mum does his shopping ??..at his age ?. and with all his money ?..yikes. :wacko:

"awww mummy, I need some new underpants and can I have some cola bottles and some flumps from the newsagents pleeeeeeeeeeeaase".

just when I was thinking its about time we saw some emotion oncourt like when he won. and now this grim news. as long as she stays clear of the chemist/pharmacy store at least. :scratch:

Lol!! She needs to try some of those flumps…. must be tastier than Human Growth Hormone sandwiches.

128. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

I vill vin..i vill alvays vin. nevvah vill I looze ahnymoore. I vin and vin and vin.

129. isabelle says:
    Moxie

Marin looked great today, what I saw of it. Maybe he's coming back to form just in time for the USO. I think Murray was pretty tired, too.

true, Cilic played great and deserved to win but Muzza was washed
    intresting to see what they'll do in USO

130. JesuslookslikeBorg says:

and no one ran on court nude with a banner saying "pray for harambe"

..sad for the gorilla but everyone settled down and just viewed the tennis.

Leave a Reply

Wish to add a comment?
Existing Discuss.Tennis Members can login, new members can register. It's all free, only takes a few seconds.

Login Register